Saturday, July 24, 2010

The odds and ends

The trip leftovers:
  • The seven days from Baker City to Missoula covered just a little more than 430 miles. Definitely my highest mileage week ever.


  • final mileage

  • The 4 riders in the group totaled almost 1,200 miles during the seven days, and we did not suffer a single flat. This fact blows me away. I brought more spare tubes (5) than jerseys (3). Obviously, I was trying to anticipate bad roads and roadside debris. So I really feel lucky. Other than some routine maintenance, like chain lubing, tire inflating, and Allen bolt tightening, we did not need to do anything.


  • My biggest fear during the riding was an accident. It's not hard to fall off a bike. Happily, this didn't happen either.


  • Memo to Montana drivers -- You can take a few extra seconds to slow down and give us some space when you pass us. The guys with Idaho plates really kicked your ass in this regard.


  • The route that we took this week was part of the ACA's Transamerica Route, and I cannot recommend it enough. The landscape features in this one-week stretch are astoundingly diverse -- I mentioned the rivers, but the sageland, forests, and mountains were amazing as well. And the riding is very challenging. If you are looking for a vigorous one-week tour that is lightly travelled and visually interesting, this is a great one. I would not turn down the opportunity to do it again.


  • How much does Delta suck? Well, it's cheaper and easier to have a Missoula bike shop box and ship my ride home than check it with the airline. And shipping my camping gear home is cheaper, too. I'm happy to spend my money with UPS or a bike shop instead of with Delta.

I appreciate the fact that people have been reading this. Thanks for hanging in there with us. See you soon.
See ya
- db

No comments:

Post a Comment