Thursday, July 22, 2010

So much for conserving energy

I had this great plan for today. I was going to ride conservatively for the 66 miles from Lowell to Powell. I wanted to save energy for tomorrow's climb up Lolo Pass into Montana, and I thought I could do that over a very gradual ascent of 2,000 feet.

The route had other ideas. It was really hard to get into a rhythm with rolling terrain and yet another headwind. Seriously, isn't the wind conventionally supposed to blow west-to-east, south-to-north? Not happening this week. Feh. So I wheeled into the Lochsa Lodge in Powell at 3, burnt out and sore. Can't wait for tomorrow, eh?

On the plus side, the Lochsa is probably the prettiest river we've seen, and we've seen a different one every day this week. It's the most remote, too, and that probably helps its attraction. Regardless, it's very beautiful.


(Dad follows the Lochsa)

Tomorrow's climb, on my last day of riding, is the toughest. It will be the highest pass that I ride through, and the elevation profile is intimidating. But on the other side is Missoula, a great town that I'm looking forward to revisiting. And I'm really looking forward to a couple days off the bike, honestly. It kills me to say that, but my body is ready for rest.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there buddy! The photos of the ride are spectacular. Wish I was fishing those rivers you are riding alongside.

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really been enjoying the blog Dave. I've been following you every day. Makes me want to visit some of these places! (In a CAR not on a bike!)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete